Monday, September 29, 2014

BAD HAIR DAY!


Well I would just like to start off by saying I am sooo happy hair grows back quickly.

Last Monday we went to go get myself a haircut since it was way too long for a missionary. I would normally put it up, but non-gelled it went down to about my eyes since the last guy who cut it clearly forgot my bangs. Anyway we went and the woman was obviously not a native by the sound of her German. We discussed the length of my hair and we agreed that we would take 4cm off and then go from there and see if I wanted to go shorter like 6 or 7 were her words. Well she ran back and got the machine and Elder Arts was sitting behind me on the sofa and we talked real quick. She came back and started buzzing it away, and it felt a little strange. Like the buzzer was struggling or something. I thought to myself, "Hmm..must be low on battery or something". Yeah that mindset got blown to pieces when Elder Arts did a horrible job of hiding his loud laughter. My smile quickly turned to horror as the buzzer came around the top of my head, buzzing everything but what looked to be 4mm off. The haircut lady asked me if it hurt, to which I said, "No, not really, just to watch". Yeah this is probably the shortest I have ever had my hair. My head is cold, the wind tickles my head, and the church members told me I look like Al Capone without a cigar haha. Sometimes I wear my Russian hat around the house to keep me head warm, and it still takes me by surprise when I scratch my head or look in the mirror. Luckily hair (for me) grows back!! After that she did the final touches with a razor, to which she cut open my ear! It bled for a good 30 minutes! And yes I had to pay full price. Looks like I have to teach myself how to cut my hair! 

This week we helped out a woman in our ward whose husband just had a massive stroke. He's in bed all day now and can barely speak. At least I think he can. Anyway, we went over and she is doing awesome. She is so strong; even though the doctors told her he won't live another year. We helped her get rid of a bunch unwanted stuff in her basement as well as move some stuff around in her house. She was so grateful for all that we did, and so she made us dinner. Holy cow can Germans cook. Us missionaries have a saying that goes, "I was filled (or emptied) by the spirit", meaning that when stuff tastes amazing or we have two dinner appointments back to back, we can eat tons. I have a testimony of that! I have eaten so much on my mission, I can hardly believe it sometimes! That appointment was awesome because we both really enjoyed serving her as well as eating her food. It's as simple as that. Give me good food and I'll be your best friend.

This week Elder Arts called one of his converts that lives in Herne, and the guy wrote an index of the Book of Mormon by hand that took 11 months. Want to know why? The guy made the index for every word in the entire book!! And now he's doing it for the bible! Now I am sorry but at least when I was at home playing video games with my buddies I was...hmm..that's a tough one really. Which one is better!? He also is turning the Book of Mormon into a board game, and is in the process of showing it to investors or whatever. Hopefully it's good! This week we also got a new mission leader in our ward, and he is way cool and I think we will do a lot of awesome things together. We also had a member come over to our place and put up two light fixtures for us since we only have one in the main living quarters and hall. Man our apartment looks completely different!! It's unbelievable haha. Lastly, I have been working on my testimony of Jesus Christ a little more than usual, and I think it has been helping me out with the stress of everything. 

Well that is about it for this week, or as far as I can remember. I am sure I will forget something like I always do. I just want to say real quickly how much I love service though. Before coming out I was kind of reluctant to take any time and go out of my way to go to help people with moves or anything. Now it is the thing I look forward to most. I really love the people here and all I get to do for them. They really are special, and although they may be stubborn, are still children of God. Thanks for all those who read and as well as those who write. It's fun getting mail from home! Hope everyone has a good week!



No comments:

Post a Comment